Information Compiled by our Nurse Care Coordinators.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. In honor of this, here are some helpful tips on understanding your Breast Cancer Risk and how to lower it.
- 1 in 8 women are diagnosed with breast cancer at some point in their lives
- Only about 5-10% of breast cancers are inherited. This means that there are things you can do to lower your risk.
- Avoiding smoking cigarettes, maintaining a healthy weight, and eating nutritious foods are all ways that you can lower your risk.
- Screening Mammograms help find breast cancer before you start to have symptoms. Starting treatment early can lower the risk of dying from the disease.
- Screening by Mammograms should be done at least every 2 years for women 50-74 years old that of average risk. Women who are 40-49 should talk to their provider about their risk level is.
- In between Mammograms and office visits, you can help reduce risk by performing a breast self-exam and monitoring your breast for any changes such as; lumps, pain, size, or skin texture.
If you are overdue for a screening mammogram, call Mountain Laurel Medical Center today!