During the holidays, managing your diabetes can really be a challenge.
Traveling, parties, big meals, baked goods around the house and office can all create a challenging environment for eating healthy. The busy schedule during this time can also make it really difficult to find time to exercise and stay on track.
Make a promise to put yourself at the top of your list. There are steps that you can take to maintain your blood sugar levels and still enjoy holiday parties and gatherings along with everyone else.
Here are some tips to stay on track during this holiday season:
- Eat breakfast earlier in the day and don’t try to save carbs for the big feast later on. Skipping meals can make it harder to manage your blood sugar.
- Watch your portion size of starchy foods on your plate. It can be tempting to have sweet potato casserole, rolls, and mashed potatoes, but try to choose just one of these items or do a few bites of each.
- Offer to bring along a healthy dish to the dinner as opposed to a not so healthy option.
- Choose calorie-free drinks like water, tea, or diet sodas instead of punch or mixed drinks.
- When you finish your meal, take a walk with your family and friends. Exercise will get you moving and keep you focused on your goals. Plus it is a great way to lower your blood sugar levels.
Don’t beat yourself up if you overindulge! If you eat more carbs than you planned for, don’t think of it as a failure; just make a plan to get back on track.